Congress defends petrol price hike
New Delhi: The Congress on Thursday tried to distance itself on the issue of petrol price hike on Thursday saying that the decision to hike was taken solely by oil companies.
Addressing a press conference here, Congress spokesperson Manish Tiwari said that the rise in international crude oil prices has led to increase in petrol prices in the country.
“Government is trying to find ways to address the issue of fuel hike,” Tiwari said.
Meanwhile, the government is all set to face a united Opposition onslaught on petrol price hike as efforts are on to forge a larger political consensus for ‘Bharat Bandh’ on the issue on May 31.
While the NDA has given a Bharat Bandh call for the day, the Left parties have decided to observer an `All India Protest Day` on May 31 that will include strikes, picketing, demonstrations, rasta roko and rallies against the hike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets