Congress downplays bleak forecast, AAP challenge to Rahul Gandhi
New Delhi: Congress on Thursday downplayed a survey which projected major gains for AAP in big metropolises pushing Rahul Gandhi to third position as Prime Ministerial choice after Narendra Modi and Arvind Kejriwal, saying it will comment on its strategy at an appropriate time.
The party also dismissed any challenge to Rahul Gandhi from AAP leader Kumar Vishwas who has announced that he will contest against the Congress Vice-President, saying the AAP leader "does not exist at all" in Amethi whose electorate share an emotional bond with the Nehru-Gandhi family.
"I am not going to comment on surveys and poll forecasting, which are done at regular interval by different agencies before the polls. ...Congress party can speak on its strategy, its mechanism when the appropriate time comes," party general secretary Ambika Soni told reporters.
Speaking about selection of candidates, she said, "Some office bearers of the party are deciding all this, they are meeting people, people from states, the Chief Ministers, the PCCs and the CLP leaders are coming. The names of potential candidates are being given and information is being gathered about them.
"The attempt is that one who can win and has the support of the grass roots is given the Congress ticket. Rahul Gandhi wants to bring such people forward."
Union Minister Salman Khurshid merely said, "I find it very difficult to believe that (survey) but I am very glad that you believe that" when asked about the survey findings.
Asked about the challenge to Rahul Gandhi from the candidature of Vishwas in Amethi, Rajya Sabha MP and former CLP leader of Uttar Pradesh Pramod Tiwari said that he has known Amethi since 1977 when Sanjay Gandhi had contested from the seat and the electorate their share and "emotional bond" with the Gandhi family.
"I can say with full confidence, full authority after going through the constituency that Kumar Vishwas does not exist in Amethi at all.... Amethi has been served by the family members Sanjay Gandhi, Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi. There is a family emotional bond. They respect the family.
"What has Kumar Vishwas done in that constituency and what is the identity of Kumar Vishwas. He is just a poet," he said, declining that there were any similarities with Delhi where Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit lost to Arvind Kejriwal in the recent assembly election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams