Congress downplays standoff with NCP
New Delhi: Congress on Friday downplayed the standoff with its ally NCP maintaining that its chief Sharad Pawar is a senior and respectable leader of UPA, and all the issues with the party will be solved through talks.
"In our eyes Sharad Pawar is a senior and respectable leader. He is looked upon with reverence in UPA as such," Congress general secretary and head of the media cell, Janardan Dwivedi told reporters here.
Asked to comment on the reports over NCP expressing unhappiness over issues of protocol within UPA after Pawar was denied the number two slot in the government, Dwivedi said in a coalition government, allies can look at issues differently.
"In alliance government, different allies can look at an issue differently. If any such things happen in government a solution emerges through talks," he said.
On whether the NCP chief was mulling the option of pulling out of the government, Dwivedi said, "There is no such serious problem. A solution will be found."
Pawar, a former Chief Minister and one of the senior members of the Cabinet, is believed to be hurt over the lack of consultations by Congress with allies and its reluctance to include the party in crucial Cabinet panels like Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Three federal police officials killed in Mexico
- Eight killed, seven injured after jeep falls into deep gorge in Uttarakhand's Tehri Garhwal
- Masked men raise Pakistan, ISIS flags in Kashmir; stones pelted at policemen
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership