Congress mocks Modi over promise to reform taxation system
New Delhi: Congress on Tuesday took potshots at Narendra Modi over his remarks on reforming taxation system, saying all countries of the world have income tax and the BJP leader was adding economics to the list of subjects he knows nothing about.
Union Minister Jairam Ramesh also mocked the BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate for listening to people like yoga guru Ramdev, who had demanded abolition of all kinds of taxes and pitched for a single `Banking Transaction Tax` if Modi forms the next government.
"So far Mr Modi has shown lack of knowledge of geography and history and if he is going to listen to Swami Ramdev, ... all the people of economics... What can I say...? Mr Modi is now adding economics to the list of subjects he knows nothing about. First it was geography, history and now it is economics," Ramesh said.
The Rural Development was reacting to a question on Modi advocating tax reforms at an event organised by Ramdev on Sunday.
Promising reform in the taxation system in the country, Modi had said that the present system had become a burden on the common man.
Ramesh pointed out that the 1957 budget presented by then Finance Minister T T Krishnamachary had an expenditure tax and it was abandoned very soon.
"Then the idea was discussed in 1980s...Because (former Union Minister and Congress leader) Vasant Sathe was its greatest champion. L K Jha committee was set up and they rejected the idea.
"When Manmohan Singh was the Finance Minister (in Narasimha Rao government), again Sathe pedelled the idea. Then Dr Raja Chelliah examined. This has been well examined. All countries of the world have income tax," the Minister said criticising Modi`s statement.
He also alleged that Modi`s aim was "to help the rich and a few people" in the country.
The Congress strategist`s statement came at a time when BJP has been talking about abolition of taxes. Former BJP President Nitin Gadkari had last month said that he was contemplating incorporating a proposal to abolish income, sales and excise taxes in the vision document of his party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm