Congress will lose 2014 polls; needs revamp: Mani Shankar Aiyar
Zee Media Bureau/Ajith Vijay Kumar
New Delhi: The 125-year-old Indian National Congress (INC) is facing the biggest crisis in 10 years that it has been in power at the Centre.
The poor showing in the recent concluded assembly elections has hastened the slide in the party’s future with leaders coming out in the open in protest.
Clearly, the tide is now flowing against the UPA-2 government after its stellar performance in its earlier avatar.
Party stalwart Mani Shankar Aiyar created a flutter by predicting that Congress will lose the Lok Sabha elections scheduled to be held early next year.
The maverick politician went on to demand an organisational revamp as envisaged by former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
"I would say it is good to lose. We can await an opportunity to do this revamping or refitting, reinvention of the party to suit the requirements of the 21st century, and that has to begin with Rajiv Gandhi`s breakthrough, which is Panchayat Raj," he said.
"The Congress needs a revamp and reorganization in the party structure. It`s too late for introspection. I think we need a serious revolutionary change in our organisation," said Aiyar.
Aiyar said the Congress has ideas and plans already but none of them have been applied yet. He also said the announcement of Lok Sabha candidates should be made early.
While Congress was quick to dismiss Aiyar`s statement as his personal view and not part of the thinking of the party, his statement has surely an embarrassment.
Aiyar’s curt words came on a day when half a dozen Congress MPs from Seemandhra region of Andhra Pradesh moved no-confidence motion in Parliament against their own government in protest against the formation of Telangana.
Yesterday, NCP chief Sharad Pawar had hit out at the Congress saying the results of the assembly elections amounted to a rejection of "weak rulers".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok