Consultations on for ratifying two key ILO conventions: Govt
New Delhi: The government Tuesday said it is holding consultation process to ratify two key ILO conventions concerning workers` rights to organise and collectively bargain and ensuring adequate safety and health at workplace.
"We are actively engaging in consultation process for ratification of ILO Conventions No 98 concerning Protection of the right to organise and collective bargaining and No 155 concerning occupational safety and health," Labour and Employment Minister Mallikarjun Kharge said here.
The move comes after the government had recently approved amendment to the Child Labour Act to align it with ILO Convention No 138 concerning minimum age and No 182 concerning worst forms of labour. The amendment had put a complete ban on employment of children up to the age of 14 both in hazardous and non-hazardous work.
Ratification of ILO convention 98 seeks to ensure that all categories of workers in India are entitled to the freedom of association and collective bargaining rights.
The minister was addressing the opening ceremony of a two-day function organised by the Building and Wood Workers International (BWI) Federation.
Spelling out the benefits to the workers engaged in construction sector under the Building and Other Construction Workers Act, Kharge said the states need to do much more to implement the Act in letter and spirit.
During the last five years, 34 states and union territories have notified rules under the Act and 33 have constituted welfare boards as mandated by the Act.
Besides, 32 states have notified cess collecting authorities and 28 have constituted state advisory committees while 25 have formulated the welfare schemes.
"However, I must confess that in the context of the implementation of the Acts, a lot needs to be done by the states," Kharge said.
Advocating on having consultation with trade unions on various issues, he felt social partners should work together with government to create a work environment conducive to achieving a high rate of economic growth with due regard to protecting and safeguarding the interests of the working class.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM