Country ashamed over Delhi gang-rape incident: President
Lucknow: President Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday said the country was ashamed over the Delhi gang-rape incident and stressed on the need for a culture that respects women.
"Yes, we are ashamed of what has happened recently in Delhi.... We are simply ashamed. If a nation cannot respect its mother, sisters and daughters, that country is not civilised country," Mukherjee said addressing legislators here at a function to mark the 125 years of Uttar Pradesh Assembly.
Mukherjee said the very fundamental principle of civilisation was respect for mothers.
"In all religions, in all civilisations, this is the basic fundamental but it cannot be simply done by merely making laws. This is to be inbuilt in the culture, the system, in the way of life," he said.
Referring to his New Year`s message, Mukherjee said he had called for dedicating 2013 to improving the security and welfare of women in the country.
"This is our responsibility. We will ensure it, we will secure it and for that whatever needs to be done, we can do it," he said.
Meanwhile, the President also voiced concern over repeated disruptions in Parliamentary proceedings, lamenting that time devoted towards discussing legislations was declining and suggested giving more time for quality debates.
"... In the recent past, there is an increasing tendency to resort to disruption as a means of Parliamentary intervention. It neither serves any purpose nor provides an effective method to get point of view across to the other side," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you