Country ashamed over Delhi gang-rape incident: President
Lucknow: President Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday said the country was ashamed over the Delhi gang-rape incident and stressed on the need for a culture that respects women.
"Yes, we are ashamed of what has happened recently in Delhi.... We are simply ashamed. If a nation cannot respect its mother, sisters and daughters, that country is not civilised country," Mukherjee said addressing legislators here at a function to mark the 125 years of Uttar Pradesh Assembly.
Mukherjee said the very fundamental principle of civilisation was respect for mothers.
"In all religions, in all civilisations, this is the basic fundamental but it cannot be simply done by merely making laws. This is to be inbuilt in the culture, the system, in the way of life," he said.
Referring to his New Year`s message, Mukherjee said he had called for dedicating 2013 to improving the security and welfare of women in the country.
"This is our responsibility. We will ensure it, we will secure it and for that whatever needs to be done, we can do it," he said.
Meanwhile, the President also voiced concern over repeated disruptions in Parliamentary proceedings, lamenting that time devoted towards discussing legislations was declining and suggested giving more time for quality debates.
"... In the recent past, there is an increasing tendency to resort to disruption as a means of Parliamentary intervention. It neither serves any purpose nor provides an effective method to get point of view across to the other side," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur