Country not ready for retail FDI: Trinamool Congress
New Delhi: The country was not ready for foreign investment in retail, the Trinamool Congress said on Thursday while blaming the government for keeping "international opinion" above national interest.
"Trinamool is against seeing India only as a market but the Congress-led minority government has rejected this idea. FDI is a Foreign Direct Instruction," Trinamool MP Derek O`Brien said in the Rajya Sabha during a debate on foreign direct investment (FDI) in multi-brand retail.
"So low is the credibility of this government, it acts only on international opinion, Indian opinion does not seem to matter," he said.
In opening retail FDI, he said, the "UPA government is behaving like a property dealer which starts decorating a drawing room without building a foundation".
"This country is not yet ready for FDI in multi-brand retail. We need not FDI but HDI, human development index," he said.
"When a government sidelines HDI and embraces FDI, it is sidelining people. It is selling India in wholesale. India deserves better," he said.
The Trinamool Congress was an ally of the UPA-II government but withdrew its support after the government approved 51 percent FDI in multi-brand retail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack