CPI-M Congress adopts political resolution
Kozhikode: The CPI-M party Congress on Friday adopted the review report and political resolution presented by general secretary Prakash Karat, seeking to forge a Left democratic alternative against the `neo-liberal` policies of Congress party and `communal` agenda pursued by BJP.
Briefing reporters after the morning session of the ongoing Congress here, party politburo member Brinda Karat said there was `near-unanimity on the political resolution. But two delegates from Andhra Pradesh voted against it.
"Please do not call it as dissent," she said.
She said the reasons for their opposition was not specified."Two comrades raised their hands in opposition when the resolution was put to vote. We do not know what prompted them to do that," she said, adding that the Andhra Pradesh delegation itself supported the resolution.
She said one of the delegates had placed an amendment to the review report which was also put to vote, but he could not get more than his one vote for the amendment.
Karat said 343 amendments and 33 suggestions were taken up by the Congress during the two-day discussions on the resolution, of which some were accepted.
She said the general trend was that the amendments discussed were aimed at strengthening the basic framework of the resolution.
The main thrust of the political resolution was based on the assessment of events since the last party Congress, current situation and future direction of the party,she said.
On the issue of withdrawal of support to the UPA government in 2008 over the nuclear deal, about which different views reportedly prevailed in the party, she said the party, at all levels, had endorsed the decision.
"The party Congress, which is the highest decision-making body of the party, has also now put to rest all speculations on the matter by adopting the political resolution," she said.
Karat said in fact there was much more discussion in the media on the issue than in the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’