Critical shortage of doctors in defence hospitals: CAG
New Delhi: The medical arm of the defence services on Friday came in for criticism by CAG for "critical shortage" of medical officers which is likely to impact patient care.
"There was an overall shortage of 12 percent medical officers in the hospitals under the Director General Armed Forces Medical Services... Even among the Command and Specialist hospitals, the posted strength varied from minus 25 percent in Udhampur to plus 93 percent in R and R Hospital in Delhi," the report said.
The Comptroller and Auditor General`s report on medical establishments in defence services was today tabled in Parliament.
The cumulative deficiencies in field, peripheral, mid- zonal and zonal hospitals and surpluses in tertiary care units are indicative of the non-rationalisation in posting of medical officers against authorisation, it said.
The government auditor observed that there was a deficiency of 298 specialist doctors in the armed forces against the authorised strength of 2217 such doctors.
"During 2006 to 2010, 190 specialists had left the Services on grounds of super session in service. Maximum attrition of specialists had taken place in those disciplines where deficiencies already existed," the report said.
The report also pointed out that local procurement of drugs was being done in these hospitals at "inexplicably varying rates".
"Inexplicable wide variations in rates of procurement by different hospitals in respect of common drugs was prevalent. For example, for Diegene antacid gel, the rates varied from Rs 9.50 per bottle to Rs 41.50," it said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know