Critical shortage of doctors in defence hospitals: CAG
New Delhi: The medical arm of the defence services on Friday came in for criticism by CAG for "critical shortage" of medical officers which is likely to impact patient care.
"There was an overall shortage of 12 percent medical officers in the hospitals under the Director General Armed Forces Medical Services... Even among the Command and Specialist hospitals, the posted strength varied from minus 25 percent in Udhampur to plus 93 percent in R and R Hospital in Delhi," the report said.
The Comptroller and Auditor General`s report on medical establishments in defence services was today tabled in Parliament.
The cumulative deficiencies in field, peripheral, mid- zonal and zonal hospitals and surpluses in tertiary care units are indicative of the non-rationalisation in posting of medical officers against authorisation, it said.
The government auditor observed that there was a deficiency of 298 specialist doctors in the armed forces against the authorised strength of 2217 such doctors.
"During 2006 to 2010, 190 specialists had left the Services on grounds of super session in service. Maximum attrition of specialists had taken place in those disciplines where deficiencies already existed," the report said.
The report also pointed out that local procurement of drugs was being done in these hospitals at "inexplicably varying rates".
"Inexplicable wide variations in rates of procurement by different hospitals in respect of common drugs was prevalent. For example, for Diegene antacid gel, the rates varied from Rs 9.50 per bottle to Rs 41.50," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla