CWG: CBI to close Barapullah, games village case
New Delhi: The CBI is likely to close its probe in two cases related to large scale alleged corruption during the Commonwealth Games -- the Barapulla flyover case and bailout package given to Emaar MGF for construction of the Games Village.
CBI sources said the agency had registered an enquiry in connection with the Rs 766 crore bailout package given to Emaar MGF by the Delhi Development Authority in the construction of 1,168 flats in the Commonwealth Games Village.
They said during the probe allegations could not be substantiated, hence the decision was taken to close it.
The Comptroller and Auditor General in its report had said that the DDA had extended a bailout package worth Rs 766.89 crore in the form of procurement of 333 apartments at the rate of Rs 11000 per square feet on the ground that the project was of "national prestige and was to be completed in time".
The high-level committee chaired by V K Shunglu, former Comptroller and Auditor General, also raised question marks on the valuation procedure followed to issue the bailout package to Emaar MGF.
The agency has also decided to close the FIR it registered last year against officials of the Public Works Department(PWD) and a few firms in connection with alleged irregularities in the project for construction of the Rs 620 crore Barapullah Nullah flyover for the Commonwealth Games.
When contacted, CBI spokesperson said the investigations have not been closed. Sources, however, said that till the time closure is filed in the court, probe continues.
The investigating agency had alleged that the contractor and PWD officials had inflated the cost of the project.
The construction of the bridge had come in for some flak from the Prime Minister-appointed Shunglu Committee which had criticised the Delhi government for alleged irregularities in the Barapullah flyover project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview