CWG: CBI to close Barapullah, games village case
New Delhi: The CBI is likely to close its probe in two cases related to large scale alleged corruption during the Commonwealth Games -- the Barapulla flyover case and bailout package given to Emaar MGF for construction of the Games Village.
CBI sources said the agency had registered an enquiry in connection with the Rs 766 crore bailout package given to Emaar MGF by the Delhi Development Authority in the construction of 1,168 flats in the Commonwealth Games Village.
They said during the probe allegations could not be substantiated, hence the decision was taken to close it.
The Comptroller and Auditor General in its report had said that the DDA had extended a bailout package worth Rs 766.89 crore in the form of procurement of 333 apartments at the rate of Rs 11000 per square feet on the ground that the project was of "national prestige and was to be completed in time".
The high-level committee chaired by V K Shunglu, former Comptroller and Auditor General, also raised question marks on the valuation procedure followed to issue the bailout package to Emaar MGF.
The agency has also decided to close the FIR it registered last year against officials of the Public Works Department(PWD) and a few firms in connection with alleged irregularities in the project for construction of the Rs 620 crore Barapullah Nullah flyover for the Commonwealth Games.
When contacted, CBI spokesperson said the investigations have not been closed. Sources, however, said that till the time closure is filed in the court, probe continues.
The investigating agency had alleged that the contractor and PWD officials had inflated the cost of the project.
The construction of the bridge had come in for some flak from the Prime Minister-appointed Shunglu Committee which had criticised the Delhi government for alleged irregularities in the Barapullah flyover project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India