Death penalty for child rapists should be consider
New Delhi: BJP leader Sushma Swaraj`s demand for death penalty to child rapists on Sunday got the backing of CPI(M) which said it was open to the idea.
"We are willing to discuss and consider this because what happened in this Delhi rape case is gruesome. There is something seriously wrong in the society and there is no fear of the law," CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters outside Parliament here.
He was asked to react on Swaraj`s demand that the new anti-rape law be made more stringent and provide for death penalty in cases of rape of children and those involving brutality and barbarity.
"Nothing short of death sentence in cases of rape of children and cases involving brutality and barbarity will help," the BJP leader had said.
The Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha also asked Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde to convene a meeting of representatives of all political parties to consider provision on providing death sentence to perpetrators of such brutal crimes.
Asked if somebody should be held accountable in the government for the way the Delhi Police has investigated the case, Yechury said, "Of course, someone (has) to be held accountable. What is this nonsense of offering bribes to the victims.
"The manner in which they assaulted a woman protester, that is also not done. The matter would be raised in the House."
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Russian woman raped in Goa by guest house owner
- Nobody can portray Lakhan better than me: Anil Kapoor
- PHOTOS: How Mumbai Indians' captain Rohit Sharma celebrated his 29th birthday!
- Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim describes West Bengal's Garden Reach as 'mini-pakistan', draws flak
- Top five health benefits of raspberries!