`Decision taken in good faith does not constitute crime`
New Delhi: Toeing the line taken by the Prime Minister and Finance Minister, Minister of State for Personnel and the nodal minister for CBI, V Narayanasamy on Wednesday said that a decision taken in good faith did not constitute a crime and official policy should not be questioned.
Speaking at the valedictory session of the three-day conference organised here as part of CBI`s Golden Jubilee celebrations, Narayanasamy said that if there was no criminal intent behind a decision, it should not be taken to constitute criminal misconduct.
"I would go one step further and say that a decision taken by the executive in good faith will not constitute a crime.
"If an officer of the government takes a decision in the interest of the nation, in good faith, we have to see the decision taken as being a bona fide one and therefore it does not constitute crime," he said.
"The decision is taken by the government under the prevailing situation... When there was no mens rea, there was no criminal intent, it cannot be considered a crime," the Minister added.
He said that although the CAG had recommended auction of natural resources, one could not auction off water and air which, too, were natural resources.
Talking about CBI, he said the government was ready to give the agency more powers insofar as its working was concerned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Mumbai local crashes into platform at Churchgate Station
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him