Defence Ministry rapped over `delay` in inducting trainer aircraft
New Delhi: The Defence Ministry was on Thursday pulled up by a Parliamentary panel for "inordinate delay" in the induction of indigenous basic trainer aircraft and its failure to foresee implication of this on defence preparedness.
In its report on the training of pilots in IAF, the Public Accounts Committee said it is "distressed on the inordinate delay in induction of trainer aircraft, both imported as well as indigenously manufactured, and the inability of the Defence Ministry to foresee implication of such delay on our defence preparedness."
"Worse, the inordinate delay in indigenisation of trainer aircraft after approval of design and development in June 2011 led to cost escalation which cannot be condoned or overlooked considering the dire need of such aircraft in the IAF," it said.
The PAC asked the ministry to show a "sense of urgency and finalise the proposal for production of 106 indigenous Basic Trainer Aircraft with the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) at the earliest."
The ministry said the HAL has submitted a proposal for production of 06 indigenous Basic Trainer Aircraft at the cost of Rs 568.08 crore in June 2011 but it requested for revised cost of Rs 659.46 crore.
"Considering the high estimated cost as worked out on the basis of the detailed project report submitted by the HAL, the proposal was being reviewed by the Ministry," it told the PAC.
The PAC said it was perturbed on the silence of the Ministry over the finalisation of contract for the Intermediate Jet Trainer and asked it to firm up a contract with HAL in this regard with stipulated timelines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy