Delhi gang-rape: 2 accused seek bail citing personal commitments
New Delhi: Two of the accused involved in the December 16 gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl in a moving bus in New Delhi sought bail from a fast-track court. Accused Mukesh and Vinay Sharma, two of the five adult accused who had allegedly gang-raped the girl, have moved their bail applications in the court of Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna who is conducting the proceedings behind closed doors, their counsel told the media persons outside the court room.
Mukesh`s bail plea to attend the post-death rituals of his elder brother Ram Singh, also an accused who had allegedly committed suicide in his prison in Tihar jail on March 11 was filed by his advocate ML Sharma. Accused Vinay Sharma has also moved his bail application through his counsel AP Singh saying he is a BA first year student and that due to the case his studies were being "affected", Vinay`s counsel claimed.
"Mukesh should be given 15 days interim bail so that he can attend the post-death rituals of his brother, which is scheduled for March 25-26 at his village in Rajasthan," his counsel said. However, both the counsel said that they have given their submissions in the court.
The court, which has till date recorded statements of 55 witnesses in the case, on Thursday concluded recording of statement of the 60th prosecution witness in the case. With the proceedings against the main accused Ram Singh having abated after his death on March 11, the remaining four adult accused Mukesh, Vinay, Akshay Singh and Pawan Gupta are facing trial in the case for rape and murder of the girl.
The sixth accused in the case is a juvenile and therefore is facing proceedings before the Juvenile Justice Board. The girl had died on December 29, 2012 in a Singapore hospital due to the grievous injuries she suffered when she was brutally assaulted by the six accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test