Delhi gang-rape: Congress for re-evaluation of Juvenile Act
New Delhi: Amid growing clamour for enhanced punishment to perpetrators of the Delhi gang-rape, Congress on Friday underlined the need for a re-look at the Juvenile Act as one of the accused in the case is a minor.
"Everyone agrees that there is a need for a re-look into it. Relooking at Juvenile Act is important into these times... the definition of juvenile has to be re-looked at particularly in connection with the crime, which has happened.
"Because we know that laws applicable to juveniles are much softer in their treatment because we believe that children should be given another opportunity in life. But given the nature of the crime, the most gruesome and heinous way a crime is committed, it has to be revisited to see how we define the word juvenile," Congress spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary told reporters at the AICC briefing.
She was responding to a query about the party`s view on demands raised by some Congress members to re-define juvenile following the heinous incident that shook the country.
Delhi Police has decided wait for a bone report of the minor boy accused in the Delhi gang-rape case to ascertain his age before filing a report with Juvenile Justice Board.
The boy had claimed using his school certificate that he is 17-year-old. However, police have refused to take the claim and sought for an ossification test to determine his age.
He was among the six persons arrested in connection with the December 16 gang-rape and brutal assault of the 23-year old physiotherapy student in a moving bus in south Delhi. The victim died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
Police have filed the charge sheet against the five remaining persons allegedly involved in the case in a court.
Sources said if a bone test certifies that the boy is not a minor, then a supplementary charge sheet will be filed. If the boy is a minor, police will file a report in the Board following which proceedings will be initiated in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- S Korea offers Tokyo-funded money to 'comfort women'
- Jurgen Klopp tries to keep peace with frustrated Daniel Sturridge
- Iraqi, Syrian foreign ministers meet in Baghdad
- Will not be bullied, will definitely visit Pakistan to talk peace: Ramya
- Xioami Redmi Note 4 launched, comes with 10-core processor, 4,100 mAh battery