Delhi gang-rape: Congress for re-evaluation of Juvenile Act
New Delhi: Amid growing clamour for enhanced punishment to perpetrators of the Delhi gang-rape, Congress on Friday underlined the need for a re-look at the Juvenile Act as one of the accused in the case is a minor.
"Everyone agrees that there is a need for a re-look into it. Relooking at Juvenile Act is important into these times... the definition of juvenile has to be re-looked at particularly in connection with the crime, which has happened.
"Because we know that laws applicable to juveniles are much softer in their treatment because we believe that children should be given another opportunity in life. But given the nature of the crime, the most gruesome and heinous way a crime is committed, it has to be revisited to see how we define the word juvenile," Congress spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary told reporters at the AICC briefing.
She was responding to a query about the party`s view on demands raised by some Congress members to re-define juvenile following the heinous incident that shook the country.
Delhi Police has decided wait for a bone report of the minor boy accused in the Delhi gang-rape case to ascertain his age before filing a report with Juvenile Justice Board.
The boy had claimed using his school certificate that he is 17-year-old. However, police have refused to take the claim and sought for an ossification test to determine his age.
He was among the six persons arrested in connection with the December 16 gang-rape and brutal assault of the 23-year old physiotherapy student in a moving bus in south Delhi. The victim died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
Police have filed the charge sheet against the five remaining persons allegedly involved in the case in a court.
Sources said if a bone test certifies that the boy is not a minor, then a supplementary charge sheet will be filed. If the boy is a minor, police will file a report in the Board following which proceedings will be initiated in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31