Delhi gang-rape: Govt rapped for `failure` to provide ambulance to victim
New Delhi: Inadequate infrastructure and lack of facilities at AIIMS on Tuesday came under scanner of a Parliamentary panel which slammed the government for its "failure" to even provide for a state-of-the-art ambulance to transport the Delhi gang-rape victim to the airport recently.
Sources said members of the Parliamentary Committee on Health, in its meeting here, lamented that the government had to borrow an ambulance from a private hospital to transport the girl to the airport for her treatment in Singapore.
They wondered why a top medical institute of the country did not have a similar facility to cater to such emergencies despite crores of rupees having been spent on improving infrastructure.
Members are also learnt to have told Health Ministry officials that government had to seek the opinion of private doctors instead of relying on government doctors treating the rape victim, before transporting her to Singapore for further treatment.
The working of All-India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) was under scrutiny of the Parliamentary Committee, where it was sought that facilities be added and improved to provide more patient care and satisfaction.
Laying emphasis on hygiene in the hospital, the Committee also discussed the issue of shortage of doctors, with some seeking early start of the six AIIMS-like institutes across the country.
The six such institutes at Bhopal, Bhubaneshwar, Jodhpur, Patna, Raipur and Rishikesh which were announced in 2003 and approved in March 2006. The institutes are to be set up under Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents