Delhi HC awards life-term to 3 JeM terrorists
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday upheld a lower court verdict awarding life imprisonment to three Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) terrorists under stringent POTA and other penal laws dealing with offences including waging war against the government.
The court, however, granted partial relief to two other JeM militants, Atiq-uz-Zama and Raees-uz-Zama, by reducing their rigorous life imprisonment to eleven years jail term in the case in which Delhi police had arrested the five convicts on August 30-31, 2003 following an encounter.
The police had recovered a huge quantity of arms and ammunitions from them and they had also intercepted a truck containing explosives in a parking lot at Sadar Bazaar here.
"The primary reason why we have awarded less than maximum sentence to accused (brothers) Atiq-uz-Zama and Raees-uz-Zama is that before their arrest, they individually did not undertake or participate in any terrorist attack or action.
"They did go to Pakistan and as per their confessions, they attended training camps and clandestinely re-entered India but at the time of search or arrest, no firearm or live explosives substances like bombs etc were recovered at their behest and from their residence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27