Delhi not an option for agitation: Bedi
New Delhi: The winter cold in the national capital ruled it out as an option for Anna Hazare`s agitation from Dec 27 for a strong Lokpal bill, Team Anna member Kiran Bedi said Friday.
"Delhi is not an option because of the cold weather and you have to respect his (Hazare) age of 74. Not only Anna but there would be many others who would fast with him and people will stay back," Bedi told reporters here.
"It’s also for the health of the others that Anna cannot fast in Delhi, so we have to be in Mumbai,” she added.
Bedi also reiterated Hazare’s threat made earlier in the day that an agitation would be launched inside a jail if no space was available.
“As Anna said in the morning, if there is no space outside, he will fast in the jail,” said Bedi.
Hazare was to fast in Delhi but the venue was shifted to Mumbai in the wake of the chill in the national capital. The venue in Mumbai has not yet been finalised.
While permission was denied for Mumbai`s Azad Maidan, a rent of Rs.3.5 lakh per day plus a deposit has been quoted for the MMRDA ground, another proposed venue.
However, Hazare`s India Against Corruption (IAC) group Thursday filed a petition in the Bombay High Court against the rent demanded by city authorities for allowing it to hold its proposed protest at MMRDA grounds from Dec 27.
Bedi said that people had started registering online for the `jail bharo agitation from next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon