Delhi Police relieved as Zardari leaves
New Delhi: Delhi Police heaved a big sigh of relief on Sunday as Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari left the capital after a two-hour visit that was a security nightmare.
Zardari`s stay in the capital was a challenging task for the senior Delhi Police officers overseeing security arrangements of a man who is a highly guarded person in Pakistan and faces terror threats, said an officer who spoke on condition of anonymity.
"The city was turned into a fortress since Sunday morning with the deployment of more than 2,000 police personnel, including traffic police, all across the central Delhi and along the routes taken by Zardari`s cavalcade," said the officer.
The route taken by Zardari`s cavalcade between Palam airport and the Prime Minister`s 7, Race Course Road residence was cordoned off till 2 pm on Sunday.
As soon as Zardari, accompanied by his son Bilawal, Interior Minister Rehman Malik and a large delegation in two planeloads landed at Palam airport, vehicular movement for the public was restricted.
"The restriction was halted till Zardari`s return from 7, RCR to the Palam airport," the officer added.
He said that more than 100 police personnel armed with sophisticated weapons were deployed on highrise buildings along the route.
A number of Police Control Room vans were stationed along the route and in other parts of central Delhi, the officer said.
Zardari flew from the capital to Jaipur and thence to Ajmer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE