Dharampal to be hanged in Ambala jail: DGP
Dharampal, a rape convict who murdered five members of the victim`s family while out on parole in 1993, will be hanged in Ambala prison, Haryana jail authorities said Thursday after the President rejected his mercy petition.
The DGP said the hanging will be carried out in Ambala jail, where the last execution had taken place in 1989, but no date has been fixed. "This is for the government to decide," he said.
Dharampal was charged with raping a girl in Sonepat in 1991 and was given a 10-year jail sentence in 1993. Shortly after being granted parole in 1993, he bludgeoned to death the girl`s parents, a sister and two brothers while they were sleeping at their home.
While Haryana has 19 jails, only the ones in Ambala and Hisar have the requisite facilities for hanging.
Dharampal and his brother Nirmal were awarded death penalty for the murders in 1997. The sentence was upheld by the High Court a year later.
However, in 1999, the Supreme Court commuted the death sentence of Nirmal to life imprisonment.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference