Disconcerting to see railways name in bribery case
New Delhi: Minister of State for Railways Adhir Ranjan Chowdhary, reacting to the CBI raids in Chandigarh and the arrest of the nephew of Railways Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal, said Saturday that it was "disconcerting" to see a bribery scandal in his ministry.
"I feel a little embarrassed. The entire thing is being probed and will have to be probed by the CBI and the decision will be taken by the CBI and we would also like to see who is involved," Chowdhary told a news channel.
"Questions must be raised. But right now it is premature to make any comment as to what is going to take place and what is going to happen, and who is going to be axed," Chowdhary said.
"Over the decade, railways has very much become a hub of corruption so within a short period we are unable to clean up. We are trying hard to make railways a vibrant and dynamic organisation," he said.
The minister said, "Our leadership and even the prime minister is serious to see that railways should work in a proper manner. Right now I cannot hold anybody responsible".
Posing an embarrassment to Bansal, the CBI Saturday arrested his nephew Vijay Singla and three others for allegedly taking a bribe for the promotion of a top railway official.
Singla, a businessman who is Bansal`s sister`s son, his friend Sanjay Goyal and two others were taken by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) team to New Delhi Saturday morning from Chandigarh for further investigations.
The CBI teams continued raids through Friday night on the palatial residence of Singla in Sector 28 of Chandigarh, located close to the residence of the union railway minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says