Discontent among tribals leading to growth of Naxalism: Pawar
New Delhi: NCP chief Sharad Pawar on Thursday said there was need to end the "discontent" among various sections which, he felt, was responsible for spread of Maoist violence.
"What has happened in Chhattisgarh, in which Congress leaders were killed. We condemn it. This is not the right path for the progress of the nation. A wrong ideology is being presented before the youth.
"With weapons in hand, there won`t be betterment of the country. That the poor will benefit this way, there is no use saying it," he said at the national convention of the Nationalist Youth Congress held here.
The veteran NCP leader suggested that "economic inequality was a reason which had led to discontent among tribals and other sections and to the growth of Naxalism".
"We also cannot ignore how Naxalism spread... On the one hand we see that in cities like Delhi and Mumbai there are people who can spend crores in a few hours. And on the other hand the tribal child living in jungles is not sure of two square meals a day.
"Someday or the other, he may take a different route, there is need to understand this. It is not only a law and order problem."
Pawar said that till the tribals and all other sections don`t feel stakeholders in the development of the country, Naxalism will continue to use them. He advocated developing infrastructure like roads, hospitals and education in all areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25