Discontent among tribals leading to growth of Naxalism: Pawar
New Delhi: NCP chief Sharad Pawar on Thursday said there was need to end the "discontent" among various sections which, he felt, was responsible for spread of Maoist violence.
"What has happened in Chhattisgarh, in which Congress leaders were killed. We condemn it. This is not the right path for the progress of the nation. A wrong ideology is being presented before the youth.
"With weapons in hand, there won`t be betterment of the country. That the poor will benefit this way, there is no use saying it," he said at the national convention of the Nationalist Youth Congress held here.
The veteran NCP leader suggested that "economic inequality was a reason which had led to discontent among tribals and other sections and to the growth of Naxalism".
"We also cannot ignore how Naxalism spread... On the one hand we see that in cities like Delhi and Mumbai there are people who can spend crores in a few hours. And on the other hand the tribal child living in jungles is not sure of two square meals a day.
"Someday or the other, he may take a different route, there is need to understand this. It is not only a law and order problem."
Pawar said that till the tribals and all other sections don`t feel stakeholders in the development of the country, Naxalism will continue to use them. He advocated developing infrastructure like roads, hospitals and education in all areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli