DMK, allies push for referendum in north, east Sri Lanka
New Delhi: DMK and its allies in Tamil Nadu on Thursday pushed for referendum in the north and east of Sri Lanka to find out the sort of political solution war-hit Sri Lankan Tamils want.
A seminar organised by DMK Chief M Karunanidhi-founded Tamil Eazham Supporters` Organisation (TESO) also pressed for urgent rehabilitation and resettlement of Sri Lankan Tamils displaced by war in the island nation.
The seminar asked the Centre to support a resolution to be moved by the US at the UNHRC meet against the island nation for its human rights "violations".
"Tamils require resettlement and rehabilitation very urgently. The world community should think of creating a credible, independent, international inquiry into all the events in Sri Lanka. A lasting solution lies in a referendum," DMK leader M K Stalin said.
Besides, leaders of DMK and its allies -- Dravida Kazhakam (DK) and Viduthalai Chiruthaikal Katchi (VCK) -- the seminar was attended by senior Congress leader and Union Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad and representatives of National Conference and NCP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Does a corrupt govt influence the mindset of the youth?
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?