Doubling agriculture produce in 5 years `achievable`: Sushma
New Delhi: The target of doubling agricultural production in the country within next five years is "achievable" provided more land is brought under cultivation and irrigation and soil fertility are improved, Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj said on Sunday.
"Food security cannot be dependent on imports. So, doubling agricultural production in five years is a challenge... But this is an achievable target and we will achieve it," Swaraj said at a programme held here to discuss the issue.
She praised the BJP and NDA-ruled states for their achievements in the field of agriculture and made a special mention of Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Karnataka and Bihar.
"In 2006-07, the agricultural growth in Madhya Pradesh was 2.5 per cent. Today, after five years, it is 18.96 per cent. In Gujarat, it was 1.10 per cent, while today it is 7 per cent," Swaraj said.
The BJP leader said that in Parliament, the Opposition would support all measures that the government proposes to take to improve agricultural production and the cause of farmers.
"Opposition and the government will not be divided on the issue of agricultural production," Swaraj asserted.
Increasing the land under cultivation, irrigating more land and improving the fertility of the soil were the three issues that need to be looked into, she said.
"New Special Economic Zones (SEZs) are being built but these should not be established on fields which give three crops a year," Swaraj said.
Enumerating the various steps that need to be taken to improve crop yield, Swaraj said new technology and establishment of cold chains will help grow more and better crops as well as save them from perishing due to lack of storage facilities.
"66 million tonnes of crops are destroyed every year due to lack of proper storage facilities. Last year, crops worth Rs 90,000 crore perished due to this," she said.
She praised the government`s soil health card scheme and said it is helping farmers meet the shortcomings of nutrients in their fields.
Swaraj also underlined the need for establishing more seed banks, providing fertilisers at affordable prices, use of right pesticides, and fair and accessible marketing of crops.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo