Drug Controller to finalise compensation for death, injury in clinical trials
New Delhi: Pharmaceutical firms conducting clinical trial of drugs in India will no longer be able to get away with meagre and arbitrary payment of compensation in case of injury or death of subjects participating in such trials.
For the first time in the medical history in the country, the Government has notified rules for grant of compensation in case of Serious Adverse Events (SAEs) like death and injuries on account of participation in clinical trial of drugs including biological and medical devices.
There were no compensation provisions so far under the Drugs and Cosmetics Rules which govern approval of clinical trials by the Government.
Compensation would now be awarded within three months of the reporting of injury or death. In the past five years, 2,242 people have died during drug trials in India, with an average compensation being awarded per death being a meagre Rs 2.2 lakh as per Health Ministry data.
"With the notification of procedures of compensation, the Government has ensured the safety and rights of subjects participating in clinical trials. Henceforth all trials will be monitored at all the stages," a senior Ministry officer said.
Drug Controller General of India, the apex drug regulator, will be the final authority for deciding the causes of injuries or death in clinical trials and also approving the final compensation amount in each case.
Categories for grant of compensation have also been fixed depending on death, severe injury and minor injury and minimum compensation amount would soon be notified.
So far, Ethics Committees set up by the sponsors of clinical trials, have been deciding the amount of compensation to be awarded in case of drug trial related injury or death.
The amount would often be very low, a fact also pointed out by the parliamentary standing committee on health in its report on drug trials.
According to the new notification, Ethics Committee of the medical institute conducting the trial, the sponsor of trial and its principal investigator will have to report the injury or death within 24 hours and submit their separate reports to the independent expert committee set up by the DCGI to review the case.
The DCGI would recommend the final payment based on the independent probe panel`s report, thus ruling out bias and unfairness.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'