EC differs with govt on funding of political parties; writes again
New Delhi: The Election Commission has differed with the government on the amendment of law with regard to funding of political parties.
The EC does not agree with the Law Ministry that modifications proposed by it in `Form 24A`, used by political parties for mandatory declaration of donations received by them, requires amendment in the electoral law. It feels it can be done through amendment of rules.
The Law Ministry had recently replied to the EC that its demand regarding removing the limit of Rs 20,000 and making it mandatory for parties to show on record all voluntary donations, irrespective of the sum, has been referred to the Law Commission as it will require an amendment in the Representation of the People Act, 1951.
The Law Commission is working on the issue of electoral reforms.
The EC, however, has said in its second letter to the Law Ministry that to implement the proposal of modifying the `Form 24A` the ministry will just have to notify the rules and not carry out any amendment in the RP Act.
"The changes in the format of reporting of monetary contributions that are declared by political parties in `Form 24 A` under section 29 of the Representation of the People Act can be done by a notification under the Conduct of Election Rules," informed sources said.
Citing an example, the EC has said that under Section 29C of the RP Act it "nowhere" mentions and asks for PAN, address and mode of contribution (cheque/draft/cash) of the contributor to the political party but the existing `Form 24A` asks for all of these details.
"This is done under the rule 85B of Conduct of Election Rules, 1961 and these rules are there for the harmonious construction of the provisions of the RP Act and it allows authorities to prescribe certain conditions, which is what the EC is asking for," sources said. The EC has not asked for an amendment in the law but just a notification in the rules with an aim to ensure free and fair elections, they said.
In October last year, the EC had proposed to amend Form 24A, which makes it mandatory for political parties to file details every year of funds/donations they receive in excess of Rs 20,000.
The Commission had suggested that the limitation of Rs 20,000 be removed to make it mandatory for parties to show on record all voluntary donations, irrespective of the sum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?