‘Efforts on to get NRI kids in Norway back home’
New Delhi: The two Indian children, who have
been placed in emergency foster care in Norway since May last, could be back in their "natural habitat" after a court hearing there in June, Lok Sabha was informed Thursday.
"We are taking it up, putting pressure on ... indications
might be in June (they will be) in their natural habitat. We
would like to see the children back in their natural habitat,"
Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur said while
replying to a Calling Attention on the issue.
Maintaining that a Norwegian court was to hear the matter in June, she said the government was "doing all it can to bring the children back".
In that hearing, Indian authorities are supposed to
recommend to the court that the children - three-year-old
Abhigyan and one-year-old Aishwarya - be placed in the custody
of their uncle.
Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj made a strong plea
to deal with the issue firmly and "stop all business relations
as a counter-measure" to get the children back home.
She recalled how Italy was trying to get back their two
marines, who had killed two fishermen from Kerala.
"What Norway has done amounted to interference in our
sovereign affairs. The separation of children from their
parents is a violation of human rights and the rights of
children," she said.
Swaraj said, "Time has come for us to take counter-
measures ... not only on this issue, but also on issues like
Italian security guards killing two of our fishermen. We
cannot even get our children back."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says