‘Efforts on to get NRI kids in Norway back home’
New Delhi: The two Indian children, who have
been placed in emergency foster care in Norway since May last, could be back in their "natural habitat" after a court hearing there in June, Lok Sabha was informed Thursday.
"We are taking it up, putting pressure on ... indications
might be in June (they will be) in their natural habitat. We
would like to see the children back in their natural habitat,"
Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur said while
replying to a Calling Attention on the issue.
Maintaining that a Norwegian court was to hear the matter in June, she said the government was "doing all it can to bring the children back".
In that hearing, Indian authorities are supposed to
recommend to the court that the children - three-year-old
Abhigyan and one-year-old Aishwarya - be placed in the custody
of their uncle.
Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj made a strong plea
to deal with the issue firmly and "stop all business relations
as a counter-measure" to get the children back home.
She recalled how Italy was trying to get back their two
marines, who had killed two fishermen from Kerala.
"What Norway has done amounted to interference in our
sovereign affairs. The separation of children from their
parents is a violation of human rights and the rights of
children," she said.
Swaraj said, "Time has come for us to take counter-
measures ... not only on this issue, but also on issues like
Italian security guards killing two of our fishermen. We
cannot even get our children back."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!