‘Ensure funds for toilets in govt schools’
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday asked the Centre to ensure availability of funds with state governments and union territories for construction of toilets, specially for girls, in all government schools, the absence of which has been coming in way of providing free and compulsory education to children.
The apex court had in its previous order said "it is
imperative that all schools must provide toilet facilities as
empirical researches have indicated that wherever toilet
facilities are not provided in schools, parents do not send
their children (particularly girls) to schools.
"It clearly violates the right to free and compulsory
education of children guaranteed under Article 21-A of the
After perusing the affidavits filed by them about the
progress of the work for which some states sought financial
assistance from the Centre, the bench headed by Dalveer
Bhandari directed the Centre to "ensure that funds are
available with the state governments to implement its order".
The bench also said states and union territories may
approach the Ministry of Human Resource Development with the
requisite demand so that appropriate order can be passed for
release of funds.
It also directed Ministry of Drinking Water and
Sanitation, the concerned ministry, to file an affidavit
within three weeks on the issue of providing toilets in
The court, which is monitoring the progress made by state
governments and union territories on the issue, also gave a
last opportunity to Uttarakhand, Punjab and West Bengal to
apprise it about the progress made by them on the construction
of toilets and warned failure to file the affidavit would
result in summoning their respective Chief Secretaries for
personal appearance before it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing