Ensure implementation of Indo-US N-deal: US
Washington: A senior Obama administration
official has said that Indian should ensure the full
implementation of the India-US civil nuclear deal and that New
Delhi is aware about this but have not done it yet.
"The Indians know very well, how we feel about the
necessity to get these things done and they assure us that
they are but they are still not done," the Undersecretary of
State for Arms Control, Ellen Tauscher, told Washington-based
Defense Writers Group at a breakfast meeting.
"We are working closely with the Indian allies and
partners. There are a number of things, legislatively, that
they (India) have got to do including some of the indemnity
issues," said Tauscher, in response to a question.
Notably, Tauscher during the Bush Administration, as a
member of the Congress, was a key opponent of the deal but now
is in favor of its full implementation.
The issue had also came up for discussion when the Deputy
Secretary, William Burns, visited India recently In her hour long interaction with the Defense Writers
Group, Tauscher said that the US and Russia are expected to
conclude a missile defense cooperation agreement this year
which will be part of the "strategic stability" talks between
the two countries.
"We will get a missile defense agreement for cooperation
with Russia. I believe that missile defense is the metaphor
for the opportunity of getting things right (in the US-Russia
"It`s been an irritant in our relationship for 30 years.
It`s also the place where great European powers, including
Russia, can work together cooperatively," she said in response
to another query.
"Almost everything else that you work with on European
security has been settled, decided, and worked on together for
"The only thing that`s new where you can bring the
Russians in is missile defense. This is the place where we can
begin to put aside the Cold War and mutually assured
destruction and move toward mutually assured stability," she
Tauscher said the Russians are just like everybody else.
"They don`t like to be invited to a dinner party and
arrive during the dessert", she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city