EU concerned about terrorist threats faced by India
New Delhi: Observing that security cannot be achieved in "isolation", the European Union(EU) on Tuesday said it was equally concerned about the terrorist threats faced by India that has led to attacks like the 2008 Mumbai carnage.
A visiting top official of the European Commission, the executive body of the 27-nation European Union, also said that radicalisation of society is the biggest threat--bigger than the al-Qaeda terrorists--Europe was facing now.
"Security cannot be achieved in isolation. Therefore, we are equally concerned about the terrorist threats that India faces, which in the past few years resulted in a number of attacks, most prominently the Mumbai attacks of November 2008 and July 2011", Stefano Manservisi, Director General for Home Affairs, said during a media interaction.
The EC official said security was a global issue and Europe and India have common interests in sharing experiences and enhancing cooperation between the two was very important.
He said the basic threat to Europe has not come from terrorist organisations like al Qaeda but from radicalisation of societies, which are on stress, as it may lead to terrorism.
"Prevent terrorism and address radicalisation and recruitment. This is a domain of particular concern for EU and where we must work harder and more closely with a number of actors to prevent new attacks", he added.
Maintaining that Europe has been and still is exposed to terrorism and violent extremism, Manservisi said EU has been working with international partners like India to disrupt international crime networks which take a variety of forms: trafficking in human beings, drugs and firearms, money laundering.
Manservisi, who is on a three-day visit to India, has held meetings with key officials of Ministries of External Affairs, Home and Indian Overseas Affairs, besides CBI and other security agencies.
He said India is an important strategic partner of the EU and part of this partnership is incremental relations and discussions regarding migration and mobility which started in 2006.
The official said migration flows and shorter term mobility between EU and India are of increasing importance and bring mutual benefits as well as challenges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'