Exit polls best for entertainment channels: CEC
New Delhi: Amid a flurry of exit polls
predicting the outcome of Assembly elections ahead of the
March 6 results, Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi
on Sunday said such surveys should at best be on entertainment
"Opinion and exit polls should at best be on entertainment
channels!," Quraishi tweeted this afternoon, taking a dig at
The reaction of the CEC, who made his Twitter debut on
February 29, came as television channels were busy predicting
government formations and possible political fallouts of the
current assembly elections in the five states of Uttar
Pradesh, Punjab, Uttarakhand, Goa and Manipur since the
exercise ended yesterday.
The Election Commission had banned exit polls till March
3, till the completion of Assembly elections in the five
Quraishi brushed aside criticism of the poll body on
the notices and action taken against some ministers during the
high voltage campaign, saying it was part of the game and the
EC has taken it in its stride.
He, however, expressed anguish at people accusing the EC
"It hurts when people accuse me of bias," he said here
The CEC had earlier refused to comment on speculation
about election results and possible political alliances,
saying, "when elections end, politics starts.
"Our job is to conduct free and fair polls. And, we have
done our job pretty well," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP emerges as big winner in Mumbai, sweeps Pune, Amravati, Nagpur, Nashik
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17