Failure to report sexually assault against minor is crime: SC
New Delhi: Failure of any person, including from media, to report a crime in which a minor is sexually assaulted is a serious offence and prompt action should be taken against such individuals, the Supreme Court has said.
"The non-reporting of the crime by anybody, after having come to know that a minor child below the age of 18 years was subjected to any sexual assault, is a serious crime," a bench of justices K S Radhakrishnan and Madan B Lokur said.
"By not reporting they are screening offenders from legal punishment and hence be held liable under the ordinary criminal law and prompt action be taken against them, in accordance with law," it said.
The apex court said that people have an obligation to provide information to the police about the crime under The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012.
"Media personnel, persons in charge of Hotel, lodge, hospital, clubs, studios, photograph facilities have to duly comply with the provision of Section 20 of the Act and provide information to the local police. Media has to strictly comply with Section 23 of the Act as well," the bench said.
The court passed the order while commuting death sentence of a convict to life imprisonment in rape-cum-murder of a minor girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble