Failure to report sexually assault against minor is crime: SC
New Delhi: Failure of any person, including from media, to report a crime in which a minor is sexually assaulted is a serious offence and prompt action should be taken against such individuals, the Supreme Court has said.
"The non-reporting of the crime by anybody, after having come to know that a minor child below the age of 18 years was subjected to any sexual assault, is a serious crime," a bench of justices K S Radhakrishnan and Madan B Lokur said.
"By not reporting they are screening offenders from legal punishment and hence be held liable under the ordinary criminal law and prompt action be taken against them, in accordance with law," it said.
The apex court said that people have an obligation to provide information to the police about the crime under The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012.
"Media personnel, persons in charge of Hotel, lodge, hospital, clubs, studios, photograph facilities have to duly comply with the provision of Section 20 of the Act and provide information to the local police. Media has to strictly comply with Section 23 of the Act as well," the bench said.
The court passed the order while commuting death sentence of a convict to life imprisonment in rape-cum-murder of a minor girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you