Failure to report sexually assault against minor is crime: SC
New Delhi: Failure of any person, including from media, to report a crime in which a minor is sexually assaulted is a serious offence and prompt action should be taken against such individuals, the Supreme Court has said.
"The non-reporting of the crime by anybody, after having come to know that a minor child below the age of 18 years was subjected to any sexual assault, is a serious crime," a bench of justices K S Radhakrishnan and Madan B Lokur said.
"By not reporting they are screening offenders from legal punishment and hence be held liable under the ordinary criminal law and prompt action be taken against them, in accordance with law," it said.
The apex court said that people have an obligation to provide information to the police about the crime under The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012.
"Media personnel, persons in charge of Hotel, lodge, hospital, clubs, studios, photograph facilities have to duly comply with the provision of Section 20 of the Act and provide information to the local police. Media has to strictly comply with Section 23 of the Act as well," the bench said.
The court passed the order while commuting death sentence of a convict to life imprisonment in rape-cum-murder of a minor girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India