Family of another Indian prisoner in Pakistan cry for release
Amritsar: A year after when Sarabjit Singh had crossed over to Pakistan and was sentenced to death in a serial bomb blast case, another ill-fated Indian, Kirpal Singh from Gurdaspur was also arrested for spying.
Singh is still rotting in the Lahore jail, where Sarabjit was attacked by other inmates and succumbed to his injuries early today.
It was Kirpal`s sister Jagir Kaur, who time and again had raised the issue, but went unheard.
Kaur said, her brother is also lodged in the death cell of Kot Lakhpat Central Jail in Lahore and has spent more than two decades in there.
Her family couldn`t raise voice for Kirpal`s release due to financial constraints and no politician came forward to plead Kirpal`s case, she said.
Kaur had pleaded with the government to take up the issue of her brother`s release along with Sarabjit Singh.
Kirpal Singh had crossed the border in 1992 when he was arrested on charges of bomb blasts and spying for India and was sentenced to death.
Later, Pakistan`s High Court had acquitted him of charges of bomb blast, but didn`t rescind his death sentence in the spying case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves