Farewell `gift` for PM Manmohan Singh - Free water, electricity
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
New Delhi: Though Dr Manmohan Singh was always on his toes trying to save his UPA government from embarrassment in the wake of several corruption cases against his top ministers during his two term as Prime Minister, he will surely live with peace after he retires.
As per a report published by a leading news daily on Wednesday, Dr Singh will avail free water and electricity when he moves into his post-retirement house at Motilal Nehru Marg.
The Urban Development Ministry has reportedly changed an earlier order, which not only benefits the outgoing Prime Minister but other former PMs, presidents and vice-presidents as well who are occupying government bungalows in the national capital.
Singh had earlier expressed his desire to move into his new house before results of the General Elections are declared on May 16 and also requested the Congress-led UPA government to avoid unnecessary expenditure on his new house.
As per the report, Dr Singh will be entitled to privileges equivalent to the Leader of Opposition and will be able to keep 14 people as his personal staff post retirement.
Dr Singh will also receive Rs 6,000 per month as sundry expenditure and will have to pay a minimal rent fee of Rs 1,200 per month.
The fresh changes made by the Urban Development Ministry will enable all retiring PMs and top constitutional heads to avail free electricity and water supply since no such rule existed in the past for them. However, there is an exemption limit set for sitting MPs when it comes to electricity and power bills.
Singh has also urged the concerned Ministry to ensure that the expenditure limit for furniture, ACs, refrigerator and other household articles does not exceed Rs 2.5 lakh.
“The previous occupant of the house, former Delhi CM Sheila Dikshit, who is presently the governor of Kerala, had 26 ACs fitted in the bungalow. When she left, all ACs were taken away. The PM has requested that not more than four-five ACs be fitted in the Type-VIII bungalow,” a government official was quoted as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug