First cut taxes on oil in your states : Jaiswal
Ranchi: Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal on Friday asked the opposition parties to cut down taxes in the states ruled by them instead of levelling charges against the Centre for petroleum price hike.
The states ruled by them should first withdraw VAT and other taxes to reduce the petroleum prices before saying anything on the matter, Jaiswal said at a press conference.
To media queries on the opposition allegations on petrol hike, the minister said "ask them (opposition) to come forward if they had any better idea to control petroleum prices in the international market."
"The opposition parties should tell the people what ideas they have and what they would have done under similar circumstances to prevent spiralling international fuel prices," he said.
It was the first time in 40 years that petroleum prices in the international arena became so steep, he added.
To a query on opposition charges on fiscal mismanagement, Jaiswal lauded Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Planning Commission Vice Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia for credible fiscal management in the backdrop of severe economic meltdown across the globe.
"It was because of them, he added, (that) India registered 7/8 per cent growth rate when the US economy slowed down and now the country had 6/7 per cent growth at a time when Europe was going through a similar phase.
"All credit (goes) to them," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter