Fishermen killing: Italian ship to be searched?
Kochi: The Kerala Police is expected to conduct a search operation on the Italian merchant vessel Enrica Lexie, which has been anchored in the harbour here in connection with the killing of two Indian fishermen by the ship’s guards in high seas last week.
The Kerala High Court is also expected to take up the petition filed by the two Italian guards seeking the quashing of the FIR filed against them. The two Italian guards -- Latore
Massimiliano and Salvatore Girone – have submitted that Kerala Police have no
authority to conduct investigation in the case and courts in
India have no jurisdiction as the incident occurred beyond its
The marines, suspected to have shot dead the fishermen,
took the legal recourse after they were arrested by
the state police capping days of hectic negotiations
between Indian and Italian officials on the issue of
submitting them to Indian authorities.
Italy has been maintaining that the incident occurred
outside Indian territorial waters and the marines’ action was
taken assuming the fishing vessel to be carrying pirates.
The court has also admitted a petition by
the family of one of the deceased fishermen seeking Rs 1 crore
compensation and directed the owners of Italian vessel Enrica
Lexie to furnish a bank guarantee of Rs 25 lakh.
Meanwhile, Italian Deputy Foreign Minister
Steffan de Mistura has arrived in Kerala to hold talks with the state government.
Mistura had met his counterpart Minister of State for External Affairs
Preneet Kaur in New Delhi yesterday to find a way out of the imbroglio India government stood its ground that law will take its course.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read