Food, Land Bills on Lok Sabha agenda tomorrow
New Delhi: Despite BJP escalating confrontation in Parliament, government has listed two key bills, including the ambitious National Food Security Bill, for consideration and passage in the Lok Sabha on Thursday.
The Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Bill piloted by Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh is also on the legislative agenda of the Lok Sabha tomorrow.
Congress has often dubbed the Food Bill and the Land Bill as "game-changers" as these could help the party electorally.
Amid talk that the Budget Session could be cut short in view of the stalling tactics of the Opposition, government has given clear signals that it wanted to go ahead with these ambitious measures.
While the Food Security Bill seeks to ensure access to adequate quantity of quality food at affordable prices to people, the other Bill has provisions for a humane, transparent process to acquire land for industrialisation, infrastructure development and urbanisation.
The Lok Sabha passed the Finance Bill yesterday without discussion and amid a walkout by the Opposition.
Finance Minister P Chidambaram had said it was incorrect to say the government`s concerns were over with the passage of the Finance Bill.
"All other bills in my view are equally important and I think an effort must be made to pass them," he had said.
The session is scheduled to end on May 10, but in view of continuous stalling of Parliament by Opposition, a section in the Congress was of the view that it should be cut short.
The Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Orders (Amendment) Bill, the National Institutes of Technology, Science Education and Research (Amendment) Bill and Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill are other items of the legislative agenda of the Lok Sabha for tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested