Forces trying to come to India as businessmen to divide: Sibal
New Delhi: There are forces which are trying to come to India as businessmen "to divide us", Union Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal said here on Friday.
Addressing a gathering during launch of a commemorative stamp in memory of freedom fighter Shaikhul Hind, Sibal said, "If we talk about history, businessmen have finished India. They came here to do business but went after ruling us."
He was apparently referring to East India Company which entered India for trade and subsequently ruled the country for over 200 years.
"Even today such businessmen are trying to come to India. We have to think over that. Even today there are forces which are trying to come to India as businessmen and to divide us," he said without elaborating.
He made the comments while speaking about the life of freedom fighter Shaikhul Hind and on his role in the struggle for country`s independence.
Sibal`s remarks came at a time when India has opened its various sectors, including multi-brand retail, for foreign investment.
The limited edition stamps were released by President Pranab Mukherjee who underlined the importance of remembering the stories of freedom fighters.
"The sacrifices of individuals and groups, such as those associated with the Silk Letter Movement, constitute a glorious chapter of India’s history of freedom struggle and need to be acknowledged and appreciated," he said.
The President expressed happiness that Department of Posts has done its bit by issuing postage stamps to acknowledge contribution of various groups and movements which contributed in the overall effort to liberate India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Bizarre! Saudi man sexually assaults maid, wife faces jail