Forces trying to come to India as businessmen to divide: Sibal
New Delhi: There are forces which are trying to come to India as businessmen "to divide us", Union Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal said here on Friday.
Addressing a gathering during launch of a commemorative stamp in memory of freedom fighter Shaikhul Hind, Sibal said, "If we talk about history, businessmen have finished India. They came here to do business but went after ruling us."
He was apparently referring to East India Company which entered India for trade and subsequently ruled the country for over 200 years.
"Even today such businessmen are trying to come to India. We have to think over that. Even today there are forces which are trying to come to India as businessmen and to divide us," he said without elaborating.
He made the comments while speaking about the life of freedom fighter Shaikhul Hind and on his role in the struggle for country`s independence.
Sibal`s remarks came at a time when India has opened its various sectors, including multi-brand retail, for foreign investment.
The limited edition stamps were released by President Pranab Mukherjee who underlined the importance of remembering the stories of freedom fighters.
"The sacrifices of individuals and groups, such as those associated with the Silk Letter Movement, constitute a glorious chapter of India’s history of freedom struggle and need to be acknowledged and appreciated," he said.
The President expressed happiness that Department of Posts has done its bit by issuing postage stamps to acknowledge contribution of various groups and movements which contributed in the overall effort to liberate India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row