Forces trying to come to India as businessmen to divide: Sibal
New Delhi: There are forces which are trying to come to India as businessmen "to divide us", Union Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal said here on Friday.
Addressing a gathering during launch of a commemorative stamp in memory of freedom fighter Shaikhul Hind, Sibal said, "If we talk about history, businessmen have finished India. They came here to do business but went after ruling us."
He was apparently referring to East India Company which entered India for trade and subsequently ruled the country for over 200 years.
"Even today such businessmen are trying to come to India. We have to think over that. Even today there are forces which are trying to come to India as businessmen and to divide us," he said without elaborating.
He made the comments while speaking about the life of freedom fighter Shaikhul Hind and on his role in the struggle for country`s independence.
Sibal`s remarks came at a time when India has opened its various sectors, including multi-brand retail, for foreign investment.
The limited edition stamps were released by President Pranab Mukherjee who underlined the importance of remembering the stories of freedom fighters.
"The sacrifices of individuals and groups, such as those associated with the Silk Letter Movement, constitute a glorious chapter of India’s history of freedom struggle and need to be acknowledged and appreciated," he said.
The President expressed happiness that Department of Posts has done its bit by issuing postage stamps to acknowledge contribution of various groups and movements which contributed in the overall effort to liberate India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’