Foreign NGOs a source of terror funding: Govt
New Delhi: Government on Wednesday said NGOs based
in foreign countries, particularly those which provide a safe
haven to terrorists acting against India, are considered a
potential source of terrorist funding.
"As per the available inputs, from a terrorist financing
risk perspective, foreign organisations and trusts,
particularly those based in countries which provide a safe
haven to terrorists acting against India are considered a
potential source of terrorist funding," Minister of State for
Home Jitendra Singh informed Rajya Sabha.
A number of foreign charitable trusts and NGOs have been
identified by the United Nations for their alleged role in
financing of terrorist organisations.
"No such organisations or their front organisations are
given permission to receive foreign contribution under the
Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act, 2010," Singh said
adding existing statutory and legal structure provides
adequate provisions to deal with such organisations.
To further strengthen the existing enforcement structure,
the Minister said, the National Investigation Agency Act was
passed in 2008 and NIA started functioning in 2009 with a
specific mandate to deal with all activities criminalised
under Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, including
"NIA has created a dedicated cell, Terror Funding and
Fake Currency Cell for countering the menace. Up till date,
NIA has reported freezing/seizure of 18 properties/ accounts
on suspicion of being funds/ properties intended to be used
for terrorism or being proceeds of terrorism," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi