Former audit officials come out in support of CAG
New Delhi: Coming out in support of CAG Vinod Rai, former officials of the government auditor Wednesday accused the Congress party and the government of running a campaign against the institution of Comptroller and Auditor General of India.
Supporting the CAG report on 2G spectrum allocation, they said that "the purpose of the campaign against CAG is clearly to cripple the institution permanently".
It is a "deliberate assault and an attempt to damage a crucial pillar of the basic structure of the Constitution," said the statement jointly issued by S Krishnan, S C Anand, Ramaswamy R Iyer, J N Gupta, B P Mathur and R Parameswar, senior retired officers of the Indian Audit and Accounts Service (IAAS).
The statement comes in wake of controversy generated by former Director General of CAG R P Singh who had distanced himself from the report on 2G spectrum allocation, which had talked about a presumptive loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crore in sale of the telecom airwaves.
"Obviously it is indeed not and cannot be his (Singh`s) report. All audit reports are the CAG`s reports...The vast organisation under the CAG, including R P Singh, assists the CAG in discharging his constitutional responsibilities, and has no separate existence of its own," the statement said.
Responding to Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari`s suggestion for an open debate on the report with Rai, the former officials said once a report has been finalised, signed and submitted to the President, there is no question of the CAG debating it with anyone.
"In fact once the report is submitted and is laid on the table of the House, it becomes the property of Parliament and is not open for debate in any other forum," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured