Former PM Gujral passes away; PM, others mourn
New Delhi: Former prime minister IK Gujral, who headed a rickety coalition government in the late 1990s, died on Friday after a brief illness.
Gujral, 92, breathed his last at 3.31 PM in a private hospital.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh paid tribute to Gujral. The PM telephoned Naresh Gujral, the son of the former PM and a Rajya Sabha member from the Shiromani Akali Dal, to express condolences.
"Shri Gujral was a man of peace, an idealist who lived by his principles and an intellectual with the human touch," the PM said.
Oil Minister M Veerappa Moily said: “Mr Gujral`s passing away: a great loss to nation. Country has lost a great son. He has left a legacy of probity and integrity.”
The former prime minister, who was ventilator support, had been unwell for some time. He was on dialysis for over a year and suffered a serious chest infection some days ago.
He will be cremated in nearby Delhi on Saturday.
Gujral, who migrated from Pakistan after partition, rose to become the Prime Minister with a big slice of luck after he came up through the ranks - starting as vice president in NDMC in the `50s to later become a Union Minister and then India`s Ambassador to the USSR.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack