‘Gadkari soft on NCP, has biz ties with Sharad Pawar`
New Delhi: At a time when the BJP’s national executive meet is underway, party president Nitin Gadkari has lot to explain after an India against Corruption (IAC) activist accused him of not wanting to take a stand on the irrigation scams in Maharashtra as he had a business relationship with Nationalist Congress Party chief Sharad Pawar.
Activist Anjali Damania – who has fought illegal dams with the RTI Act - had convened a press conference yesterday in which she, without naming Gadkari, referred to a party president in the Opposition who refused to do anything to help her in the fight against illegal dams citing business interests with the NCP.
Strangely, shortly after the press meet, Gadkari issued a clarification that he had never met Ms Damania, though she had not named him.
Gadkari’s claim angered the activist and she went public with details about her meeting with Gadkari.
“Yes, it was Mr Nitin Gadkari who told me this (ties with NCP) when I met him on August 14 around 10 am at his residence in Worli, Mumbai,” she said.
“I had gone to Gadkari after I came to know that he was being persuaded by religious leader Bhaiyyu Maharaj to go easy on the irrigation scams, allegedly perpetrated by the NCP,” Damania said.
The religious leader wanted Gadkari to dissuade BJP leader Kirit Somaiya from filing a public interest litigation petition on irrigation and other scams, she said.
The IAC activist claimed that she met Gadkari to request him to pursue such cases in public interest.
However, to her utter shock and dismay, Gadkari said he had close links with the NCP, and that Somaiya was an eccentric man and he did not know what he was doing.
As per Damania, the BJP president told her that he had told Somaiya that as party members, it was adequate to raise issues in the legislature or hold press conferences and not get into filing petitions.
Hugely upset, Damania said she sent a long sms to Gadkari’s personal number in which she termed his stand as a huge setback for the country.
“First he talks rot and then he lies. I had not named him at the press conference, then why did he clarify and say he has never met me,” she told a newspaper.
The NCP is in the centre of several scams over a decade, and its leader and Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar has resigned, citing the allegations against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'