Gandhian way real option to end conflicts: India
New York: Stressing that Gandhian way was a real, live option for ending conflicts and inequalities around the world, Indian External Affairs Minister SM Krishna hoped Gandhian truth and action would be embraced by all.
Presiding over a special event hosted by the Permanent Mission of India to United Nations to commemorate the International Day of Non Violence on Tuesday, he also expressed the hope that leading global multilateral fora, such as the United Nations, would continue to be among its torchbearers.
Delivering the keynote address, PA Nazareth, the author of "Gandhi`s Outstanding Leadership", cited the transformation that inspired Mahatma Gandhi following his experiences in South Africa while taking on the British Empire, which he most successfully did, just by the sheer power of `truth force`.
Recalling Gandhiji`s message to the United Nations, he called on all members of the UN, especially the P5, to "shed their belief in the efficacy of war and its accompanying terrible deception and fraud".
Welcoming the gathering, Hardeep Singh Puri, the Permanent Representative of India to UN, underscored the increasing relevance for Gandhian ideals by citing the high number of references made to Mahatma Gandhi during the ongoing high level debate during the 67th UN General Assembly session.
US President Barack Obama in his address to the UN, he recalled, had said: "It is time to heed the words of Gandhi: `Intolerance is itself a form of violence and an obstacle to the growth of a true democratic spirit`."
President of the General Assembly, Vuk Jeremic, urged the international community to "keep trying to think and act like the Mahatma - and to apply the philosophy of non violence to the decisions we make".
The UN General Assembly had in June 2007 adopted a resolution with a record number of 143 co-sponsors declaring October 02, birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, as International Day of Non Violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31