Gandhian way real option to end conflicts: India
New York: Stressing that Gandhian way was a real, live option for ending conflicts and inequalities around the world, Indian External Affairs Minister SM Krishna hoped Gandhian truth and action would be embraced by all.
Presiding over a special event hosted by the Permanent Mission of India to United Nations to commemorate the International Day of Non Violence on Tuesday, he also expressed the hope that leading global multilateral fora, such as the United Nations, would continue to be among its torchbearers.
Delivering the keynote address, PA Nazareth, the author of "Gandhi`s Outstanding Leadership", cited the transformation that inspired Mahatma Gandhi following his experiences in South Africa while taking on the British Empire, which he most successfully did, just by the sheer power of `truth force`.
Recalling Gandhiji`s message to the United Nations, he called on all members of the UN, especially the P5, to "shed their belief in the efficacy of war and its accompanying terrible deception and fraud".
Welcoming the gathering, Hardeep Singh Puri, the Permanent Representative of India to UN, underscored the increasing relevance for Gandhian ideals by citing the high number of references made to Mahatma Gandhi during the ongoing high level debate during the 67th UN General Assembly session.
US President Barack Obama in his address to the UN, he recalled, had said: "It is time to heed the words of Gandhi: `Intolerance is itself a form of violence and an obstacle to the growth of a true democratic spirit`."
President of the General Assembly, Vuk Jeremic, urged the international community to "keep trying to think and act like the Mahatma - and to apply the philosophy of non violence to the decisions we make".
The UN General Assembly had in June 2007 adopted a resolution with a record number of 143 co-sponsors declaring October 02, birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, as International Day of Non Violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!