Geetika suicide: Gopal Kanda’s anticipatory bail plea rejected
New Delhi: Former Haryana minister Gopal Kanda’s anticipatory bail was rejected by a Delhi District and Sessions court on Thursday. Gopal Kanda has been absconding for the past few days.
A look-out notice was also issued by Delhi Police against Kanda and all airports were alerted to ensure that he does not fly out of the country, a Police officer said, adding six police teams were in the hunt for him.
Additional Sessions Judge Rajnish Bhatnagar said the charges against Kanda were serious and that he may hamper the probe.
"The allegations against Kanda are grave and serious in nature. There are allegations of calls being made from other phone and SMSs have been sent to her and all this is required to be investigated thoroughly," Bhatnagar said.
"The investigation is at a very intial stage and release of accused (Kanda) would hamper the investigation. Therefore, keeping in view the facts and circumstances..., the bail application lacks merit and is hereby dismissed," the judge said.
Kanda cannot approach the High Court before Monday as tomorrow is a court holiday and then comes the weekend. Police has not been able to question the former Haryana minister till now.
Fearing arrest, Kanda moved a District and Sessions Court in Rohini court complex in Delhi yesterday seeking anticipatory bail after his aide Aruna Chadha was arrested by the police.
Geetika Sharma (23), a former air hostess with Kanda`s now defunct MDLR Airlines, alleged in her suicide note on Sunday that she was ending her life due to harassment by Kanda and MDLR official Aruna Chaddha.
Geetika was found hanging in her flat in north-west Delhi on August 5.
Kanda, an independent MLA who held Home, Urban Bodies and Industry and Commerce portfolios, resigned the following day.
Meanwhile, a Delhi police team raided various establishments of Gopal Kanda. The police conducted the raids after the team reached Sirsa around midnight on Wednesday.
The police searched "absconding" Gopal Kanda`s office named Shoe-Camp near Parshuram Chowk, his residence on Rania Road and also the premises of the recently launched MDK International School on the outskirts of the town, police sources said.
The team led by Assistant Commissioner of Delhi Police, Aiash Mohammad and five others spent over an hour at Kanda`s residence.
They searched for Kanda, who has been booked in the Geetika Sharma suicide case, by the Delhi Police.
Kanda did not appear before police yesterday for questioning. Police said he is "absconding" and threatened to initiate proceedings to obtain a non-bailable warrant against him.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title