‘Governance deficit, policy paralysis marred 2011’
Ahmedabad: Governance deficit and policy
paralysis marred the year for India in 2011, Gujarat Chief
Minister Narendra Modi said on his official blog on Friday.
"Protests took place in India as a distinct change of
mood engulfed the nation," he said.
"Bad economics, poor governance coupled with regular
attacks on the federal structure of country have made people
impatient and disappointed.
"From corporate leaders to people on the street, there is
near total talk of a `governance deficit`, a `policy
paralysis` covering the nation. This explains best the scores
of protests across India against complacent governments, be it
in the states or at the Centre," he said.
But, Modi claimed, there remained a ray of hope.
"More than any individual, it was collective strength
that defined the year gone by. Protests took place against
Governments that were unable to live up to the aspirations of
the people particularly the youth," he said.
It was the cradles of human civilisation that showed the
way in challenging the status quo, Modi said citing the
uprising in Egypt, protest in West Asia and voices against
economic downturn in Greece.
"We have been at the forefront of global protests in more
ways than one. It is a matter of great pride to note that most
of the protests across the World were non-violent! What can be
a greater tribute to Mahatma Gandhi," he added.
Modi also spoke of Gujarat`s development story where the
motto, he said, was `Sauno Saath, Sauno Vikas` (all together,
growth for all).
"Inclusive growth with collective effort creates a unique
mass movement for overall development. In Gujarat, we added a
4th S of Sadbhavana to our 3S (Speed, Scale and Skill) model
"If there is one lasting message of 2011, it is that
people power is necessary but not sufficient to transform
nations. People power must be combined with good governance to
bring about real, deep and lasting change," Modi added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'