‘Governance deficit, policy paralysis marred 2011’
Ahmedabad: Governance deficit and policy
paralysis marred the year for India in 2011, Gujarat Chief
Minister Narendra Modi said on his official blog on Friday.
"Protests took place in India as a distinct change of
mood engulfed the nation," he said.
"Bad economics, poor governance coupled with regular
attacks on the federal structure of country have made people
impatient and disappointed.
"From corporate leaders to people on the street, there is
near total talk of a `governance deficit`, a `policy
paralysis` covering the nation. This explains best the scores
of protests across India against complacent governments, be it
in the states or at the Centre," he said.
But, Modi claimed, there remained a ray of hope.
"More than any individual, it was collective strength
that defined the year gone by. Protests took place against
Governments that were unable to live up to the aspirations of
the people particularly the youth," he said.
It was the cradles of human civilisation that showed the
way in challenging the status quo, Modi said citing the
uprising in Egypt, protest in West Asia and voices against
economic downturn in Greece.
"We have been at the forefront of global protests in more
ways than one. It is a matter of great pride to note that most
of the protests across the World were non-violent! What can be
a greater tribute to Mahatma Gandhi," he added.
Modi also spoke of Gujarat`s development story where the
motto, he said, was `Sauno Saath, Sauno Vikas` (all together,
growth for all).
"Inclusive growth with collective effort creates a unique
mass movement for overall development. In Gujarat, we added a
4th S of Sadbhavana to our 3S (Speed, Scale and Skill) model
"If there is one lasting message of 2011, it is that
people power is necessary but not sufficient to transform
nations. People power must be combined with good governance to
bring about real, deep and lasting change," Modi added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video