Government cancels entire Kailash Mansarovar yatra
New Delhi: The government Thursday cancelled the entire Kailash Mansarovar yatra due to "disruption of roads, bridges and tracks" in the wake of the torrential rains and consequent flash floods in Uttarakhand in June.
Hundreds of people lost their lives and thousands went missing following the cloud burst that left a trail of destruction in the state.
"In view of continuing disruption of roads, bridges and tracks on the Kailash Manasarovar yatra route and in the interest of yatris` (pilgrims`) safety and security, it has been decided to cancel remaining batches 15-18," the ministry of external affairs, which organises the pilgrimage, said in a statement.
This year, the yatra was to take place from June 9 to Sep 9 with 18 batches of approximately 60 pilgrims each taking the arduous journey, involving trekking at high altitudes of up to 19,500 feet under inhospitable conditions.
The ministry had earlier cancelled batches 11-14 on July 8. Batches 2-10 were cancelled in June following the Uttarakhand tragedy.
Only one batch had proceeded before the floods and returned to Delhi June 30.
In 2012, a record number of 774 pilgrims took the yatra, said the ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Nigeria 'talking to' oil rebels: Buhari
- Muslims have always been a part of America: Obama
- Google honours legendary singer Mukesh with a doodle on 93rd birth anniversary
- Start Brexit negotiations as soon as possible: Hollande urges Britain
- 'Months before her assassination, pro-Khalistan leader had predicted Indira Gandhi's killing'