Govt clears new scholarship scheme for SC students
New Delhi: Strengthening financial assistance for students belonging to Scheduled Caste communities, government Thursday approved a new pre-matric scholarship for children studying in Classes IX and X.
"The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved the introduction of a new centrally-sponsored scheme for pre-matric scholarship for SC students in Classes IX and X, which will be implemented with effect from July 1, this year," an official release said.
While the day scholars will be provided a scholarship of Rs 150 per month, the hostelers will get an assistance of Rs 350.
For books and other ad-hoc grants, a sum of Rs 750 has been fixed for day scholars. Rs 1000 will be given to the hostellers on this ground.
The entire scholarship will be payable for 10 monthly only in an academic year.
The objective of the scheme is to provide financial assistance to needy students belonging to SC, studying in recognised educational institutions in the country, it added.
Elaborating the scope of scholarship, the release said that it will be available for studies in India only and will be awarded by the domicile state of the candidate.
On conditions of eligibility, the release said, "His/her Parents/guardian`s income should not exceed Rs 2 lakh per annum and he/she should not be getting any other centrally-funded Pre-Matric scholarship."
The assistance will be available for one year only and if the candidate has to repeat his class, the scholarship will not be available for the second or subsequent year, it added.
The scheme also has the provision for additional allowances for students with disabilities studying in private un-aided recognised schools.
The disabled students will be provided the assistance under various heads such as reader allowance to blind students, transport, escort and helper allowances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP