Govt clears new scholarship scheme for SC students
New Delhi: Strengthening financial assistance for students belonging to Scheduled Caste communities, government Thursday approved a new pre-matric scholarship for children studying in Classes IX and X.
"The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved the introduction of a new centrally-sponsored scheme for pre-matric scholarship for SC students in Classes IX and X, which will be implemented with effect from July 1, this year," an official release said.
While the day scholars will be provided a scholarship of Rs 150 per month, the hostelers will get an assistance of Rs 350.
For books and other ad-hoc grants, a sum of Rs 750 has been fixed for day scholars. Rs 1000 will be given to the hostellers on this ground.
The entire scholarship will be payable for 10 monthly only in an academic year.
The objective of the scheme is to provide financial assistance to needy students belonging to SC, studying in recognised educational institutions in the country, it added.
Elaborating the scope of scholarship, the release said that it will be available for studies in India only and will be awarded by the domicile state of the candidate.
On conditions of eligibility, the release said, "His/her Parents/guardian`s income should not exceed Rs 2 lakh per annum and he/she should not be getting any other centrally-funded Pre-Matric scholarship."
The assistance will be available for one year only and if the candidate has to repeat his class, the scholarship will not be available for the second or subsequent year, it added.
The scheme also has the provision for additional allowances for students with disabilities studying in private un-aided recognised schools.
The disabled students will be provided the assistance under various heads such as reader allowance to blind students, transport, escort and helper allowances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj