Govt concerned over role of money power in polls:
New Delhi: Expressing serious concern over the role of money power in elections, the government has said that the issue of state funding of elections is being considered by Group of Ministers (GoM).
"The issue of state funding of elections is also being considered by a GoM constituted by the central government on January 6, 2011 for considering measures that can be taken by government to tackle corruption. A final view in this regard is yet to be taken," Law Minister Ashwani Kumar said in a written reply in Rajya Sabha on Monday.
He was asked whether the government has framed a new law to make funding of political parties more transparent.
"The government and the Election Commission are seriously concerned about the role of money power in elections," Kumar said.
He said that the Commission has taken several measures including opening of separate division to oversee election expenditure, appointment of expenditure observers, flying squads and static surveillance teams to keep vigil over movement of cash, liquor and other items during polls.
With a view to carrying out comprehensive electoral reforms, a Core Committee was constituted by the Legislative Department in October 2010 under Vivek K Tankha, Additional Solicitor General. The talking points of the Committee included state funding of elections, the Law Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday