Govt concerned over role of money power in polls:
New Delhi: Expressing serious concern over the role of money power in elections, the government has said that the issue of state funding of elections is being considered by Group of Ministers (GoM).
"The issue of state funding of elections is also being considered by a GoM constituted by the central government on January 6, 2011 for considering measures that can be taken by government to tackle corruption. A final view in this regard is yet to be taken," Law Minister Ashwani Kumar said in a written reply in Rajya Sabha on Monday.
He was asked whether the government has framed a new law to make funding of political parties more transparent.
"The government and the Election Commission are seriously concerned about the role of money power in elections," Kumar said.
He said that the Commission has taken several measures including opening of separate division to oversee election expenditure, appointment of expenditure observers, flying squads and static surveillance teams to keep vigil over movement of cash, liquor and other items during polls.
With a view to carrying out comprehensive electoral reforms, a Core Committee was constituted by the Legislative Department in October 2010 under Vivek K Tankha, Additional Solicitor General. The talking points of the Committee included state funding of elections, the Law Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack