Govt examining proposal for introducing VCM
New Delhi: Government is examining a proposal submitted by the Election Commission for introduction of a machine which can be used for counting of votes during polls.
These details were shared in the Rajya Sabha by Law Minister Salman Khurshid.
"The Election Commission has submitted a proposal for introduction of a machine called Totaliser in counting of votes. The government has not taken a considered view on the introduction of Totaliser in the counting of votes as proposed by the Election Commission," Khurshid said in reply to a question.
"Secrecy of votes being the essence of Indian democracy will certainly be ascertained before introduction of any technological advancement in the voting or counting," he said.
The Law minister said that the EC had told the government that the Totaliser will add to the level of secrecy in voting.
"The Election Commission has further intimated that by the use of Totaliser, the purpose of mixing of votes at the time of counting will be substantially achieved, which will prevent the disclosure of the pattern of voting at a particular polling station," Khurshid said.
In reply to another question, Khurshid informed the house that the Government has a proposal to create an All India Judicial Service (AIJS) but was yet to decide whether selection for these officers would be made under Union Public Service Commission or through a separate Commission, created for this very purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Congress comes out with scathing 'report card' on PM Narendra Modi's 1yr rule