Govt examining proposal for introducing VCM
New Delhi: Government is examining a proposal submitted by the Election Commission for introduction of a machine which can be used for counting of votes during polls.
These details were shared in the Rajya Sabha by Law Minister Salman Khurshid.
"The Election Commission has submitted a proposal for introduction of a machine called Totaliser in counting of votes. The government has not taken a considered view on the introduction of Totaliser in the counting of votes as proposed by the Election Commission," Khurshid said in reply to a question.
"Secrecy of votes being the essence of Indian democracy will certainly be ascertained before introduction of any technological advancement in the voting or counting," he said.
The Law minister said that the EC had told the government that the Totaliser will add to the level of secrecy in voting.
"The Election Commission has further intimated that by the use of Totaliser, the purpose of mixing of votes at the time of counting will be substantially achieved, which will prevent the disclosure of the pattern of voting at a particular polling station," Khurshid said.
In reply to another question, Khurshid informed the house that the Government has a proposal to create an All India Judicial Service (AIJS) but was yet to decide whether selection for these officers would be made under Union Public Service Commission or through a separate Commission, created for this very purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself