Govt examining proposal for introducing VCM
New Delhi: Government is examining a proposal submitted by the Election Commission for introduction of a machine which can be used for counting of votes during polls.
These details were shared in the Rajya Sabha by Law Minister Salman Khurshid.
"The Election Commission has submitted a proposal for introduction of a machine called Totaliser in counting of votes. The government has not taken a considered view on the introduction of Totaliser in the counting of votes as proposed by the Election Commission," Khurshid said in reply to a question.
"Secrecy of votes being the essence of Indian democracy will certainly be ascertained before introduction of any technological advancement in the voting or counting," he said.
The Law minister said that the EC had told the government that the Totaliser will add to the level of secrecy in voting.
"The Election Commission has further intimated that by the use of Totaliser, the purpose of mixing of votes at the time of counting will be substantially achieved, which will prevent the disclosure of the pattern of voting at a particular polling station," Khurshid said.
In reply to another question, Khurshid informed the house that the Government has a proposal to create an All India Judicial Service (AIJS) but was yet to decide whether selection for these officers would be made under Union Public Service Commission or through a separate Commission, created for this very purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31