Govt examining proposal for introducing VCM
New Delhi: Government is examining a proposal submitted by the Election Commission for introduction of a machine which can be used for counting of votes during polls.
These details were shared in the Rajya Sabha by Law Minister Salman Khurshid.
"The Election Commission has submitted a proposal for introduction of a machine called Totaliser in counting of votes. The government has not taken a considered view on the introduction of Totaliser in the counting of votes as proposed by the Election Commission," Khurshid said in reply to a question.
"Secrecy of votes being the essence of Indian democracy will certainly be ascertained before introduction of any technological advancement in the voting or counting," he said.
The Law minister said that the EC had told the government that the Totaliser will add to the level of secrecy in voting.
"The Election Commission has further intimated that by the use of Totaliser, the purpose of mixing of votes at the time of counting will be substantially achieved, which will prevent the disclosure of the pattern of voting at a particular polling station," Khurshid said.
In reply to another question, Khurshid informed the house that the Government has a proposal to create an All India Judicial Service (AIJS) but was yet to decide whether selection for these officers would be made under Union Public Service Commission or through a separate Commission, created for this very purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says